Save Money and Energy this winter
Xcel Energy encourages customers to take steps to save energy and money this winter, and the company offers many ways it can help. This winter, wholesale natural gas prices are expected to be lower than last winter, and those savings are passed on to customers in their energy bills. Even though natural gas bills are expected to be lower this winter, the company’s energy savings tips and energy efficiency programs can help you further lower your natural gas and electric bills. You are also encouraged to reach out to Xcel Energy if you’re having difficulty paying your energy bills, so they can connect you to payment and assistance programs.
To use less energy and save money this winter, customers can take advantage of the many energy-saving tips at xcelenergy.com/Tips. The company also offers incentives and rebates that customers can use to make their homes and businesses more energy efficient. Find more information at xcelenergy.com/Residential or xcelenergy.com/Business. Customers can also visit xcelenergy.com/WaysToSave, a one-stop shop with ways to save energy and money, have more predictable bills, learn about payment assistance and more.
Here are some ways you can conserve:
- Let the sunlight in and keep the cold out - Open blinds to take advantage of the sun's warmth during the day and close them at night to insulate against the cold air outside.
- Lower your thermostat - During winter months, set the thermostat between 65-70 degrees while you're home, and 58 degrees when you're away. A programmable thermostat automatically adjusts the temperature setting based on your routine and could help you save on heating costs. A smart thermostat is even more effective in providing insight and control.
- Make sure exterior doors are fully closed - A major source of a home’s heat loss is from exterior doors that are not fully latched.
- Use fans to your advantage - During colder months, run ceiling fans clockwise to force warm air down.
- Keep your oven's heat where it belongs - Use your oven light or timer to avoid opening it often while you cook; each time the door is open even for just a few seconds, the temperature drops 25 degrees. Put lids on pots and pans while cooking to speed up cooking time and keep the heat where it’s needed most.
- Lower your water heater's temperature or insulate it - The proper temperature for a water heater is 120 degrees Fahrenheit, and by lowering it 10 degrees, you can save 3-5% on your water heating costs. Insulating the water heater will maximize efficiency.
- Keep filters clean - Dirty furnace filters reduce airflow, requiring your furnace to work harder and use more energy. Change the filter once a month during the winter to reduce your heating costs by 5-15%.
- Don't let heat escape - Affordable window sealing kits can be found in most local home improvement stores and can help you save. Have your home evaluated for leaky ducts, drafts around doors and windows, fireplace dampers and other places where air might escape.
- Improve insulation - Improving the insulation of walls, crawl spaces, floors and heating ducts is one of the fastest and most cost-effective ways to reduce energy costs, saving you up to 10% on your monthly energy bill.
Get help with bills
Xcel Energy will always work with customers to provide options such as payment plans and assistance programs to get them through difficult times. If you’re facing challenges paying your energy bills, you are encouraged to contact Xcel Energy to set up a payment arrangement or learn more about assistance options that may be available. Learn more by visiting xcelenergy.com/EnergyAssistance or by calling 1-800-895-4999. You can also enroll in the Averaged Monthly Payment program to help make your monthly energy bills more predictable.